The Swedish celebration of midsummer is here and I want to introduce to you Elder flower cordial.
If you haven’t tried it I say you MUST try it sometime. Elder is a bush with large, white flowers and it is these flowers you pick when making Elder flower cordial. The cordial itself is simple to make and tastes divine. I remember when I used to live in the countryside, there was a deserted house behind a wood, and it was here that I went every Summer to pick Elder :)
Elder flower cordial
- 40-50 Elder flowers
- 3-4 big lemons
- 2 litres of water
- 2 kg white sugar
- 30 g citric acid
- Pick the flowers.
- Place the newly picked flowers in a bowl large enough for at least seven litres.
- Brush the lemons under warm water and skice them thinly. Place them in the bowl together with the Elder flowers.
- Boil the water and stir in sugar and citric acid. Pour the hot liquid over the Elder flowers and lemons. Cover.
- Let the cordial stand in a cool place for 3 – 4 days.
- Strain the cordial and pour it into clean plastic bottles or containers with a lid. Store the cordial in the freezer.
- Drink and enjoyyyyyy :)
I am lucky to have such wonderful memories from my childhood in the countryside, and I am also very grateful to live in a clean country with such beautiful nature. The Swedish Summer offers uncountable goodies to harvest: strawberries, rasperries, blueberries, elder flowers, and lots of different vegetables. So go out and botanise in the wonderful nature, fill the freezer to prepare for those cold and dark Winter days and enjoy the Summertime here and now :)