The Swedish Cheese Pie made with Västerbotten cheese is a classic and traditional Swedish dish. It can be served at all sorts of gatherings and special occasions. The pie can be served as a main course with a filling salad, or in small slices as an appetizer.
Or, why not eat a slice of the Swedish Cheese Pie on ‘the day after’ with a glas of wine – curling up in front of the fireplace with your favourite book. There are many different variations on the Swedish Cheese Pie, but the main ingredients are always the same. Try out simple and delicious recipe!
SWEDISH CHEESE PIE
- 3 dl flour
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 125 g butter
- 1 egg
- 3 eggs
- 300 g grated Västerbotten Cheese
- 2,5 dl cream (medium fat)
- 1 dl milk
- black pepper
- Mix flour, salt and butter.
- Add egg and mix into a dough. Press out dough into a pie dish, 20 – 25 cm in diameter.
- Let rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-bake the pie crust at 200 degrees C for about 10–15 minutes.
- Beat eggs, milk and cream. Add grated cheese, salt and peppar.
- Pour filling in the pie crust and bake for 25–30 minutes at the bottom of the oven. The pie is ready when it is golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
Serve pie warm.
Tips about Swedish Cheese Pie
To make things even easier, use a pre-made dough. However, it can be worthwhile making your own – especially if you are allergic to gluten and want to experiment with a gluten-free flour mix.
Swedish Cheese Pie – like many other pies – can be eaten directly from the oven, but is even better after a few hours or even the day after.
Try also different herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, oregano or thyme. There are plenty of variations to choose from :)
Bonus recipe: – Cheese Pie from Honolulu! (Probably originally a Swedish recipe :P )
What is your favorite type of pie?
Have a great day!